Creative Explorer & Method Artist
Compiling a Visual Vocabulary
I did my formal training in London at Camberwell College of Art and then at Wimbledon. I trained as a theatre designer but just kept coming back to paint, after all, painting was my first love. I still like to sketch and the whole craft aspect of art. We all love to people watch! Although it’s almost less about how people actually look, more about capturing how they are. I also sit outside, well really only in good weather, and paint actual scenes from life. All this collated imagery becomes a visual symbolism that feeds into my narrative paintings: images that tell stories. I have exhibited in London, Dorset, Brighton and Lewes. I was then fortunate enough to have been invited to exhibit at Farley Farm House, Home of the Surrealists. I learnt about these artists in my school textbooks so I was over the moon to be hanging my work in a building next door to giants of Modernism! I invited the mayor of Lewes to open the exhibition, he agreed and then bought a painting of Bonfire Night over Lewes and the Ooze.
- One of my images is amongst the collection of Bonfire paintings in the Lewes Town Hall.
- The Mayor of Lewes bought one of my paintings.
- Triptych commissioned by Halstock Cabinet Makers of England.
- I have a painting in the Bridport Museum Archives.
Degree, BA Hons 1998: Wimbledon College of Art – ‘Technical Arts Theatre Design’
Foundation Course 1994: Camberwell College of Art
A’ Levels 1993: Woldingham School
ART, English, Spanish
GCSE’s 1991: Woldingham School
ART, English Literature, English Language, Maths, Physics,
Chemistry, French, Spanish, Religious Education
Other Personal Interests Include: Travel, Swimming in the sea, walking in the countryside, (Laughing and disco dancing!) I have also done a parachute jump!
Solo artist (full time) 2008 – 2014:
Exhibitions 2009 – 2014:
- 2016 “Delicious Dorset”, Dorset Art Weeks, Le Vieux Four, Beaminster
- 2014 “Philomena at Home With the Surrealists”, Farley Farm House, East Sussex
- “Old Oven Stories”, Le Vieux Four, Beaminster
- 2013 “The Silence in Thunder”, New Steine, Brighton
- “Kith and Kin”, New Steine, Brighton
- “Creatures of the Night”, New Inn, Stoke Abbott
- 2012 “Twilight and Orange”, Le Vieux Four, Beaminster
- “Sugar and Spice”, New Steine, Brighton
- 2011 “Series of Four”, The Little Art Gallery, Beaminster
- “Philomena & The Sea”, Artemisia, Abbotsbury
- 2010 “Coming Home and Moving On”, Le Vieux Four, Beaminster
- “New Inn”, Stoke Abbott 2009 – present day.
- 2015-2016 “Barcombe Collective”, Lewes Artwave
- 2014-2016 “Brighton Open Houses”, Studio Q
- 2014 “Lewes Artwave”, Pelham House, Lewes
- 2013 “Jurassic Coast”, Eype Centre for the Arts
- “Lewes Artwave”, Fisher Street Studios
- 2012 “Philomena and the Olympics”, Cove Gallery, Weymouth
- “Lewes Artwave”, IEKO2010 Dorset Art Week
- 2009 “The Little Art Gallery”, Beaminster
- “Space” Bridport
- 2009 – 2011 Beaminster Festival, Bridport Open Studios
I have a painting in the Bridport Museum Archives.
Director of the Bridport Open Studios 2010 and 2011
Teaching / Providing Art Workshops 2004 – 2008:
- Mosterton Art Group: Professionals
- NACRO, Entry to Employment: 16-18 yr olds, Schools 11-16 yrs: ‘Plus’ program, ‘Art Awards’, bronze and silver.
Battersea London, West Norwood and Staines branches.
- Garfield Community Centre: After school, 4-7 and 7-11 yrs
- Asylum Welcome: Adults
Scenic Art 1999 – 2004:
Film, TV, Theatre, Advertisements, Music Videos:
- Band of Brothers
- Big Brother
- Have I Got News For You
- Midsummer Murders
- Seven Year Itch
Set Building / Prop making 1998 – 1999:
Film, TV, Theatre, Advertisements, Music Videos: Include:
- Sleepy Hollow
- Seven Year Itch
- Worst Witch…
Theatre Design 1998:
Set Design and build: Italia Conti